While the holidays are always a good time to spend with family and friends there is always the chance of added stress in your life. In order to keep the holidays fun and stress free we’ve assembled this list of tips to distress.
- Make time for yourself. Spending time with others is great, but don’t forget to take care of yourself. Even if you’re running errands or just taking some time to relax at home on your own it will help you handle the rush of having family and friends staying with you for the holidays.
- Don’t wait to buy gifts. The closer it gets to Christmas the busier stores will be due to everyone getting their last-minute gifts. Beat the rush and don’t risk items being sold out by buying early. As the holidays approach you’ll have more time to relax and less to worry about.
- Exercise. According to the Mayo Clinic website, exercise boosts endorphins and acts as a natural stress reliever. Exercise in any form will help reduce stress and help beat holiday weight gain.
- Listen to Christmas music. Music acts as a distraction and calm our nerves. According to Psych Central, music decreases stress hormones and lower blood pressure. Most noteworthy, when listening to music you increase productivity. Sing some carols with your family to help with stress.
- Have fun! The holidays are a time to enjoy. Don’t let the stress of making the perfect meal or hosting the perfect holiday stress you out and take away from making memories. Do things that make you happy and have a good time!